Well, Summer is about to get into full swing, which means I finally have more time to work on hobbies and creative endeavors. Since the beginning of the year, I have been very busy with college work such that I have not had any time to do anything for myself (save for the few ORGs I made when I had a few hours to spare). Now that I am only taking one class (an online one, at that) with only the search for an internship/part time job eating an additional few hours, I finally have time to dive back into my projects. The first one of which is a Super Mario World ROMHack that I started a few years ago. It is essentially something I am making for some friends of mine so we can all sit down and have a good ‘ol time while I laugh at them dying countless times to my creation. My original intent was to start and finish it during Winter Break of 2015, but things do not ever get finished that fast, eh? This was never a project that I wanted to use to showcase my skills/design a particularly good game with, but rather just something I wanted to make to enjoy between some friends. It has been going on for too long at this point, so I am hoping to wrap it up by the end of the month, and I am even looking to get it put on a Super Nintendo cartridge. Just need to find somebody willing to do it.
In the meantime, I have still been making ORGs at a reasonable pace. Ever since I started making them in 2013, I surprisingly have not gotten bored of making them, even though it is a near-obsolete format and much too simple. I have been meaning to upload some of the more recent ones to this blog, but doing so just reminds me of how inconvenient, inefficient, and unsustainable my way of doing things is. This brings me to an idea I recently came up with. Over on the Cave Story Tribute Site Forums, there exists a project to archive all of the currently existing mods into a database, which would make finding mods extremely simple. In addition, I have been honing my coding skills in college, and I have become interested in web development and databases. So, what would be a more perfect marriage than to create a website for my currently inactive polese.us domain with the intent to populate it with a database for user uploaded ORG files? Not only would this be an invaluable resource for the community considering there is absolutely no uniform ORG collection, but it would be a fantastic way for me to build up my web and database development skills, which I can then use as a portfolio of sorts to demonstrate what I can do. My head is already brimming with ideas on how to approach this, and fortunately I believe this would be much easier to implement than a mod database (because ORGs are much easier to sift through than mods). If I can ever set aside a chunk of time to refreshing my memory on some web/database topics and moving my domain to an actual web host (I am currently using Google Domains which only allows you to redirect to another website), I would be very excited to put together something like this.
At the moment, I am busy with other projects I feel the need to finish first, but the idea to create a uniform database for ORG files will be in the back of my mind for a while.